Motherhood~There is no more demanding work in all the world, no more awe-inspiring job description than raising godly seed. It will challenge all the genius, talent and grace that any human being could possess… It is the highest calling any woman can enter. ~Walter J. Chantry

4.28.2010

Serving


When we raise our children, we train our children. This is a pretty basic concept, obviously we know this. But have you ever, as a parent thought about all the sacrifice you put into raising your children? Motherhood is a serving job, we give our all to be a mom and to help our children along life's way. Well, as we do this we are also training (although we may not acknowledge this verbally) our children to be serving. Our children see everything we do and begin to mimic this. We see this in their wanting to be more grown up and do tasks on their own or when they want to bake in the kitchen alongside us, etc. Have you ever taken the time out and looked at your children serving others? Perhaps your child has done something nice for their sibling or taken time out from what they are doing to see how you are feeling when it's been a trying day. Don't sell yourself short, mother! You are modeling a servants heart everyday for your child!
Something that comes to my mind is over the last few days I have been very tired and worn out. Chad Jr not only once but three times has given me out of the blue pick-me-up/feel better cards that he himself has created! They are such little treasures and I know he saw the joy in my eyes when he gave them to me. It may not seem like much, but coming from a 4.5 year old, those homemade cards where right from the heart and the best he could give me! The Lord also knew that of course, and they really did cheer me up!
I figure it is a good thing to be serving our children, of course not becoming slaves to our children--LOL but giving our all everyday in little things makes an impression upon a small child's heart. Soon, if you look you will see your child serving, too. The best is always yet to come, isn't that what they say? My husband looks forward (as much as you really can, anyway) to when hopefully his sons will take care of him. This is another thought, isn't it!? :) The ideas of this are endless, thank God for a serving mother's heart!!

1 comment:

Sarah beth said...

Such a true blog here, I have been thinking alot on this too. Aww lil chad is soo sweet, you will have to save those lil cards!! Bless his heart!! Jon tells the kids all the time, one day you are going to take care of me, its so funny but ya never know!