Motherhood~There is no more demanding work in all the world, no more awe-inspiring job description than raising godly seed. It will challenge all the genius, talent and grace that any human being could possess… It is the highest calling any woman can enter. ~Walter J. Chantry

1.21.2011

Stories Behind Our Beautiful Hymns

I just wanted to share a link for an interesting website that recalls the history and stories about the writers who penned some of the most beautiful and beloved hymns we still sing today.

200 Amazing Hymn Stories

I love hymns and I love to sing to the words that speak so clearly of our Savior. To learn some of the stories behind the hymns make them even more special. How these people suffered...their stories rich and some haunting but nonetheless praising Jesus all the while. I love songs that are strong and don't repeat the same wishy washy lyrics. Declaring Jesus is Lord and being ever thankful for the Blood!

Here are two songs  I love dearly. God Bless these saints for their words and courage to write them down.


It Is Well With My Soul Written by Horatio Spafford

This hymn was writ­ten af­ter two ma­jor trau­mas in Spaf­ford’s life. The first was the great Chi­ca­go Fire of Oc­to­ber 1871, which ru­ined him fi­nan­cial­ly (he had been a weal­thy bus­i­ness­man). Short­ly af­ter, while cross­ing the At­lan­tic, all four of Spaf­ford’s daugh­ters died in a col­li­sion with an­o­ther ship. Spaf­ford’s wife Anna sur­vived and sent him the now fa­mous tel­e­gram, “Saved alone.” Sev­er­al weeks lat­er, as Spaf­ford’s own ship passed near the spot where his daugh­ters died, the Ho­ly Spir­it in­spired these words. They speak to the eter­nal hope that all be­liev­ers have, no mat­ter what pain and grief be­fall them on earth.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,


When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.



It is well, with my soul,

It is well, with my soul,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.



Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,

Let this blest assurance control,

That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,

And hath shed His own blood for my soul.



My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!

My sin, not in part but the whole,

Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!



For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:

If Jordan above me shall roll,

No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life

Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.



But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,

The sky, not the grave, is our goal;

Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!

Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!




And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,

The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;

The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,

Even so, it is well with my soul.


Tis So Sweet To Trust in Jesus By Louisa Stead

“Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus” was written by a woman, Louisa M. R. Stead. Out of one of her darkest hours—the tragic drowning of her husband—this hymn was penned.




Louisa Stead was born in England. She felt the call of God upon her life for missionary service. She arrived in America in 1871. In 1875, Louisa married a Mr. Stead, and to this union was born a daughter, Lily. When the child was four years of age, the family decided one day to enjoy the sunny beach at Long Island Sound, New York.



While eating their picnic lunch, they suddenly heard cries of help and spotted a drowning boy in the sea. Mr. Stead charged into the water. As often happens, however, the struggling boy pulled his rescuer under the water with him, and both drowned before the terrified eyes of wife and daughter.



And out of her struggle with God during the ensuing days, flowed these meaningful words—“Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.”



—Adapted from Kenneth Osbeck



Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus





(1) 'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,



Just to take Him at his word,



Just to rest upon His promise,



Just to know, "Thus saith the Lord."







CHORUS:



Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!



How I've proved Him o'er and o'er!



Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!



O for grace to trust Him more.

(2) How I love to trust in Jesus,



Just to trust His cleansing blood,



Just in simply faith to plunge me



'Neath the healing, cleansing flood!


(3) Yes, I've learned to trust in Jesus,



And from sin and self to cease.



Now from Jesus simply taking



Life and rest and joy and peace.


(4) I'm so glad I learned to trust Him,



precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;



And I know that He is with me,



He'll be with me to the end.

4 comments:

NCSue said...

I'd done a post in the past about the "saved alone" telegram. Something about that phrase really touched my heart. You can read the post here:
http://acts17verse28.blogspot.com/2009/03/saved-alone.html. But isn't it wonderful to think how someone can face tragedy and still believe - even KNOW - that all is well with one's soul?

Amanda @ Gods Highest Calling said...

YES!! It really is...it is a thought that leaves me with a shiver and a smile. It is so awesome to know that people have faced heartache, real sorrow --and still recjoiced that the Lord is LORD! I am just so thankful these men & women left us such a rich heritage of praises to reflect on and of course sing.

I am going to check out your blog entry! ;)

Sarah beth said...

Thank you for sharing this great history! "saved alone" I will never forget that. Even in the midst of my small trials, saying "I trust you Jesus" brings peace to my soul. I can only imagine how it felt thru these incredible hard times to sing to Jesus. I cant wait to share with my children, we have made it a new part of our day to sing hymns in the morning before school.

Sarah said...

I love that we both have such similar posts! It Is Well has always been such a powerful one for me. Today when we sang it, it gave me chills!
I had never known the story behind Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus, I'm so glad you shared it!! That's another tragic but incredible story as well! Another one of my favorite hymns :)